Our Alumni are the true measure of our success. Bill Cosby, Martin Sheen, General Wesley Clark, President Clinton, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Courtney Vance, Jamie Farr, Neil Diamond....they and many more are alumni of the Boys & Girls Clubs.
Most of our alumni don't have household recognition, except in their own households, where their success is measured by being solid citizens, having a career, being educated, supporting their communities, raising their families.
The impact of the Boys & Girls Clubs has been measured. The Louis Harris & Associates 2007 Survey of Club Alumni showed that Club alumni equal or exceed the U. S. population in academic achievement. 90% of alumni graduate high school. In 2007 the average high school drop-out rate in the United States reached 33%.
The impact of the club in other areas:
- 57% of club alumni say that the Club saved their life
- 81% say that the club helped them develop a sense of responsibility to give back to the community
- 77% say that they learned leadership skills at the Club
- 82% say Club had a positive impact on their self-esteem
* A safe, positive environment
* A fun, family environment
* Supportive relationships with peers and adults
* Opportunities and expectations
There are 111 Boys & Girls Club units in 47 Virginia cities and counties. The Clubs are open daily after school when kids have free time and need positive, productive outlets.
Every club has full-time trained youth development professionals, augmented by trained part-time staff, who are positive role models and mentors to youth members. Volunteers provide additional support.
The clubs are available for those who need us most, not matter their financial circumstance. Many of our clubs operate in communities where there are no other after-school programs. Dues are low, averaging $20 per year, and no one is turned away from membership.